NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Creative Studies/Art and Design
Artwork by Allison Pollard - BTEC Level 2 Extended First Certificate in Art and Design 2015 - 2016
Is aimed primarily at learners working towards achievement at Level 2 who are aged 16 years and over.
The requirements for entry onto the course are:
5 GCSEs C grade and below. GCSEs are equivalent level and qualification to BTEC Firsts
The NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Creative Studies: Art and Design is listed on the Register of Regulated Qualifications1 and is part of the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF).
This qualification forms part of a suite of qualifications which have been developed to meet the Department for Education’s (DfE’s)
requirements for high-quality, rigorous qualifications which:
1. Have appropriate content for the learner to acquire core knowledge and practical skills
2. Allow the qualification to be graded
3. Provide synoptic assessment
4. Enable progression to a range of study and employment opportunities.
Total Qualification Time is the number of notional hours which represents an estimate of the total amount of time that could reasonably be expected to be required in order for a learner to achieve and demonstrate the achievement of the level of attainment necessary for the award of a qualification.
Total Qualification Time comprises: the Guided Learning Hours for the qualification an estimate of the number of hours a learner will reasonably be likely to spend in preparation, study or any other form of participation in education or training, including assessment, which takes place as directed by – but not under the immediate guidance or supervision of – a lecturer, supervisor, Tutor or other appropriate provider of education or training.
This qualification aims to:
Focus on an applied study of the art and design industry offer breadth and depth of study, incorporating a significant core of knowledge and theoretical content with broad-ranging applicability provide opportunities to acquire a number of practical and technical skills.
The objectives of this qualification are to help learners to:
Use a range of primary and secondary sources to develop ideas understand how artists and designers use visual language and formal elements in their work explore and understand the properties of a range of art and design materials select, use and apply a range of 2D and 3D techniques, processes, media and material in their art and design work develop personal responses to artistic themes and design briefs understand how artists and designers work in their sector, describing job roles and working methods including freelance working determine areas of interest and skill for progression to further courses of study or employment.
Throughout the delivery of this qualification, the following core areas and transferable skills should be evident:
1. Critical awareness of self and external factors and the ability to be reflective
2. Clear communication to others, verbally and through visual means
3. Resourcefulness, and the ability to work independently
4. Imagination and creativity
5. Self-motivation and self-management
6. Creative problem-solving: taking a broad perspective, and confidently engaging with concepts
Units will include skills in:
Practical art skills:
Fine art, drawing, 3D and design craft, graphics, photography and fashion and textiles
Contextual studies (exploring how artists work)
1. Guest speakers
2. Visits to galleries and exhibitions
3. Work related experience
1. Professional practice - how to create a portfolio and working in art and design industry
2. Exhibitions, open studios, SPOTLIGHT careers, events, visits
3. Skills project
4. Enhancement - Arts Award EXPLORE
5. Work related and work experience and careers opportunities
Pastoral care linking to arts practice, target setting, progress and tutorial activities
The course is an extension of the level 3 Foundation Diploma qualification. The course offers the opportunity to develop and expand existing skills, knowledge and understanding required to achieve three A levels over a two year duration. Learners will be able to progress onto higher education, further education, employment, gap years and voluntary work. The course is the second year of the two year programme.
The course has combined internal and external units which MUST be achieved to provide an overall minimum of a pass grade for the qualification.