Student News

Weather Advice

Shaun Daubney
Weather Advice
by Shaun Daubney - Sunday, 20 January 2013, 6:41 PM

Weathjer Warning

There are a number of ways you can stay up-to-date with the latest news and closure information about Newbury College.

Picture of Linford Dziva
Re: Weather Advice
by Linford Dziva - Thursday, 17 January 2013, 2:35 PM

If you have to make a journey when snow is forecast, make sure you have warm clothes, food, water, boots, a torch and spade, and let someone know when you expect to arrive and your route. Try to wait until the roads have been gritted before travelling

Picture of Linford Dziva
by Linford Dziva - Thursday, 17 January 2013, 2:36 PM

• Avoid travel if possible.
  • If you must drive check the Highway Code for advice on driving in ice and snowy weather. A summary of the advice is: Take care around gritters. Don't be tempted to overtake. Slow down — it can take 10 times longer to stop in snowy or icy conditions, so allow extra room. Use the highest gear possible to avoid wheel spin. Manoeuvre gently and avoid harsh braking and acceleration. If you start to skid, gently ease off the accelerator and avoid braking. If braking is necessary, pump the brakes don't slam them on. If you get stuck, stay with your car and tie something brightly coloured to your aerial.
  • If you go outside wear several layers of clothing and keep dry to prevent loss of body heat. Watch out for signs of hypothermia — uncontrollable shivering, slow/slurred speech, memory lapse and drowsiness and frostbite — loss of feeling in and pale appearance of fingers, toes, nose and ear lobes. Keep moving your arms and legs to help the blood circulate.
Picture of Ben Anderson
by Ben Anderson - Friday, 18 January 2013, 9:51 AM

The snow is getting worse and people have got to drive in this, me and someone else in my class both was sliding and nearly crashed on the way up to college and now the conditions are worse, there are only 5 people in our lesson out of 14 and i take it that it is similar all over the college, a lot of people think it would be best to close the college before it gets to bad to drive especialy for people like me who have been able to drive for just over a month.

Picture of Benjamin Smith
by Benjamin Smith - Friday, 18 January 2013, 10:03 AM

it's only snow man. MAN UP