Student News

New Smoking Area

Shaun Daubney
New Smoking Area
by Shaun Daubney - Wednesday, 10 September 2014, 9:52 AM

Following the feedback from our student focus groups / surveys we got to work over the summer moving the smoking shelter. (Accessible by going out the main door, turning right and going around the side of the building to the new fenced area.)

Whilst we don't want to encourage smoking on site, we appreciate the feedback that students who do choose to smoke would prefer a designated area on site rather than having to go outside of the gates.

We have balanced our commitment to the health and well being of the staff, students and other members of the College community with your feedback and designed a new purpose built smoking shelter.

To access the shelter please go out via the main doors, turn right and walk around the side of the building where you'll see a new fenced area.

Remember smoking is only permitted in this area or the smoking shelter by the Sports Hall / Construction Centre. This is a legal obligation and anyone caught smoking outside of these areas may face disciplinary action and/or a fine.

Anyone wishing to give up smoking can contact NHS Smoke Free or your GP

Picture of Jack McAllister-Lovelock
Re: New Smoking Area
by Jack McAllister-Lovelock - Tuesday, 16 September 2014, 1:40 PM

Why was it moved?

Picture of Dean Mathie
by Dean Mathie - Thursday, 18 September 2014, 10:09 AM

The smoking area is to small for the amount of smokers we have at college this year my only question is why has it moved and why is it so small?????

Shaun Daubney
by Shaun Daubney - Tuesday, 23 September 2014, 5:25 PM

Hi guys,

The move was due to a legal requirement. The previous smoking area (the other side of the wall) was next to an unused area of the building. This area has now been recommissioned.

As a college we have a commitment to all of our students to provide a safe and healthy environment, the smoking shelter as it stood would not be in line with this commitment and would also infringe on the laws regarding smoking in public places.

One option was to ban smoking on the campus completely, however, we do understand that some students (and staff members) choose to smoke and with this in mind we have moved the shelter to a (less convenient but) more suitable location.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Picture of Dean Mathie
by Dean Mathie - Wednesday, 24 September 2014, 10:28 AM

I do understand this but with the amount of smokers this year they/ we cant all fit in there people are standing outside of it because there is not enough room and are getting in trouble for something they have no control over.. this is wrong!

Picture of Charlotte Amos
by Charlotte Amos - Wednesday, 24 September 2014, 9:11 AM

that is true

Daddys Girl
by Erika Pretorius - Thursday, 25 September 2014, 11:40 AM

i think the smoking area is too small for the amount of smokers we have in college this is it is going to be too crowded in the new smoking area it needs to be bigger
Picture of Charlotte Waddington
by Charlotte Waddington - Thursday, 2 October 2014, 3:16 PM

I thought the smoking area was round the side of the building, not right outside the main front door... Was I mistaken, as everyone seems to be "sparking up" right outside the door!
Not against it, just don't see why I should have to breathe it in during my lessons!!!!!